Friday, June 10, 2011

FILM SHOOT: Quest for Jackie Chan! ~ Funding Bodies

Date: Thursday, 9th June, 2011
Time:   8.30-2pm
Location: Parramatta Diocese
Another great experience for my first time newbie attempt at making feature film “Quest for Jackie Chan!”. It was great (but stressing day) with lots of challenges thrown at my crew, cast and I as we truck it forwarded to complete this scene in the film – “Funding bodies”.
Picking on poor Maria Tran
Now originally, the whole movie concept was not going to include something of this sort, but after so many knockbacks for support on this project from what I call the mainstream filmmaking mafias, I’ve decided to take destiny into my own hands and amplify what it feels to tackle to Australian Film Industry. And why not have a cameo of it?
Quan Tran and Saber Baluch

It was a good feeling to have my brother from a different mother, Quan Tran and his gear on board;  Adrian Castro (guerrilla VFX guy and 1st AD for the shoot), Saber Baluch (Cinematography/ DOP) and once intern but now gungho film maker Thuy Ng (Production Manager). These guys were my eyes and ears for the production and had extrasensory abilities that made my job easier.

Now, I would also like to extend my welcoming to new crew (whom I just met on the day): Rushan (Sound guy) who was probably the only guy that had enough stamina to keep that boom stick up for that long (well done!), Kleo & Sophea (Production assistant), who were such an asset to the film shoot, they were on the ball, quick thinking and generally fun (with the vlogs) to have around (Keep it up girls!).

Also, Ms Thao Le (Glamour World Beauty Hair & Make Up) made such a difference to how the actors look like on screen. Big ups to her!
Thao Le of Glamour World Beauty

After lots of searching high and low for the “funding bodies” cast, I finally found the right kinds of people who made the scene a bellyful of laughs.

Introducing, Bruno Starrs (“Main director”), Danielle Antaki (“Female Director”), Christian Tancred (“Jock Director #1), Scott Cantrill (“Jock Director #2) and Felino Dolloso (“Asian Director”) who were all brilliant, patience and professional to work with.

Overall, I was very happy with this shoot. There is still lots to learn after but I’m proud to say this shoot is pivotal to many more great shoots (the key is bringing out the best in people, in return they will make a great shoot). There was a sense of team spirit and constant learning. Post shoot, Adrian Castro called to remind me of what I’m doing – my first, movie! No budget, unconventional, gungho, Jackie Chan style (director, producer, actor) and with such great energies to make “something from nothing” (as Saber Baluch would say).

What I learnt: Directing/ producing/ writing/ acting is some darn crazy mother of a multitasking head spin. I had to juggle a shoot in the conservative boardroom church, get away with bring in mock AK47s and other weaponry, remind the crew not to use the “F” word too loudly (because we are in the house of God – the Catholic one), and remind composed and focus on getting the actor’s performance (including mine).

What I will continue: Using the making of this movie as my way of getting schooled in the filmmaking progress.
 
What is next: Long weekend is up and I’ve postponed the shoot with Farid Farid, Ali Kadhim and the parkour crew till end of July. There’s so much potential for that shoot to develop and honestly, I don’t have to rush into things. There’s no actual deadline for the project to finish (only for it to premiere in Feb 2012). This weekend, I’ll be working on costume design and the major fight sequence shoot with Andy Minh Trieu (renown onscreen “Ninja”), which will see some new collaborations with VSS Studios (Vanna Seang) and David Nguyen (Filmmaker and Dong Tam Association). Bring on the collaborations and let more learnings begin!!!!

Also, check out Adrian Castro's blog!
Check out the full photo album!

2 comments:

  1. awesome! you are going to do well ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey there Steve! yeah, I've finally settled back home with small shoots here and there. :)

    ReplyDelete