Saturday, June 11, 2011

FILM CLUB: Big Trouble in Little China

About "Quest": More plotting and planning for the next shoot with a reset of new cast and crew. Next week will be a two day shoot that I ambitiously swished in a 4-5 minute scene. Conceptually, everything is growing so the “quest” is veering towards mixed media, mixed cast, crew and cameos and plays on a range of comedy blends, from mockumentaries, slapstick to just plain over the top absurdity. It probably won’t get any stars, but a lot of people saying “WTF did I just watch!”.

Oh man, I truly miss the Rumble days, but am happy to finally grown the balls to take some action chorie on. So next week, I shall be equipped with baby powder, mattresses, mini trampolines to recreate a mish mash of old school slapstick action in collaboration with other filmmakers. I must admit, having to be pedantic is hard. Figuring out the shots by shots, frame by frame and be slightly demanding in getting the shots I want on screen takes its toll energy wise.

Even though this is a first time feature for me, I know I have to push myself in delivering quality content, think long term and think globally. Bit by bit I'm appreciating the moving picture, frame by frame and also the journeys of those that have gone before me. I'm starting to see a general pattern in those that are influential in cinema started off with no-budgets as well. At the end of the day, they started, got their hands dirty and made an attempted, and that is what counts. Those who are all talk and don't start, will never get there. 

I am enjoying the writing process and comedy (I can just hear my mentor Antony Szeto lecturing me that I should start now!)  and the Film Club Nites that runs every Saturday at The Shed in Carramar. This week Adrian presents “Big Trouble in Little China”, directed by John Carpenter in 1986. This was the first film to every bring Chinese myths and legends on to the Western market. It flopped at the box office (budget of 27 mil, made only 7 mil back), but it just too ahead of its time to be comfortably accepted by US audiences.

I don’t know, maybe the “Quest” will be ahead of its time, with its mix bag of nuts and an attempt to bring the youtube culture onscreen. Stay tuned!

P.S - My filmmaker pal Warren Coulton has just finished his model comedy feature film "Untamed Kittens". This one looks like a lot of fun! Follow it on Facebook!

No comments:

Post a Comment