Saturday, November 5, 2011

EVENT: Noam Chomsky In Cabramatta!

Ali Kadhim, Noam Chomsky & Maria Tran in Cabramatta!
Date: 4th November, 2011
Venue: Cabramatta High School

Noam Chomsky (or what call him - "Mr Nom Nom") is perhaps one of the most exciting academics you can ever meet. He is a brilliant man, holding over 40 degrees in Universities around the world, most importantly, he is a man is extraordinary speaking power, he's got guts, in psychology, science, linguistics, arts etc... and in general, "LIFE" active.

I am aware of his anti-fans as well, labelling him as a "self hating Jew", "dishonest" and "evil". Personally, I still don't get that, nor do I care really. His affects have been why profound that its has given me a closer look into my own life. That is what matter right? How I feel about myself and how I want to engage in the world.

So what do I take from "Mr Nom Nom"? Well, I was lazy academic (struggling to finish my psychology degree back in the days) so I'm not to big on the reading, but I take from Noam Chomsky inspiration and hope.

And yes, is what the next generation needs, hope and inspiration to continue and also a critical thinking capacity. Questioning things, thinking in "What ifs" and being fearless to speech your mind.

So Noam Chomsky as a person....he's is actually a really relatable and fun character. Even though he's in his 80s, there is still so much zest and contagious energy about him. I was eyeballing him everywhere when he arrived, I had this vision that he was going to arrive in a motorcade and wearing some sort of powersuit, looking all serious and adult. But no, he just strolls through registration, in his blue jumper and jeans, hands in his pockets and grinning like a school boy.

He was a little hard on the hearing, and when he was on the podium, he was left standing a couple of times, but Noam was so relaxed and cheery, and you know what, I sure hope to be like that when I reach 80.

Question time!
What I like about Noam is he is so effortless in what he does. He actively listens and engages and I was so thrilled to have gotten a chance to ask him a few (basic - keeping it real) questions with my digital camera (sorry for the bad audio). Yes, he listens, and he thinks deep and hard and gives you his genuine responses.  Something that even adults and what I term "oldies" have trouble conveying (like my parents, they just give me real lectures]).

Overall, I like that its about keeping it real, not what you know, but what you can do. Noam doesn't come across as a know-it-all. He doesn't present things in absolute truths. He presents things as a question mark that give people content to think further than they are use to.

I almost forgot to add, big up to Cabramatta High School for getting him out west! I think his present in from of the 2,000 locals have sent a newfound sense of energy to an amazing community (Western Sydney yo!) who are always on the search for positive change and action.

Anyhow, check out my video on Mr Nom Nom.
Some other cool videos to check out includes:
Ali G Interviews Noam Chomsky

2 comments:

  1. No answers were given to a very direct question-very airy fairy approach.

    ReplyDelete