Sunday, March 6, 2011

SUNDAY SHOOT: Design 4 Pleasure

Today I headed an hour south in Campbelltown to lend a "head" for my buddy Sophea Moeln and her poster shoot for her Design 4 Pleasure hair extension products that will be launched in the coming months.

I must say, I'm such a rusty poser, still very awkwardly tense and ever now and then I'd revert into poses such as horse stance or pilates moves.

Modelling isn't easy.I'm not a model, Sophea is, but she thinks it can be a learnt skill and why not, you live once, and I think everyone has the right to flaunt what they got, even if its jiggly. It was great to see the photographer Sid Nou again. He's very encouraging and down to earth and seem to be able to get winning shots of a geek like me.

So here's some more learnings for the day.

Modelling Tips: It is a misconception that beautiful people can be great models that take stunning
pictures. Just as beautiful people are also beautiful on the inside.

BREATHE: I had trouble with this one. I would catch myself holding my breathe a lot. It seems that when I concentrate on something, I breathe less and look constipated. Sid was kind enough to delete these.

LIMBS: Modelling and asymmetrical poses are like best friends. If you have one arm long and straight by your side, make sure your other arm is bent.
Apparently the bend makes the pose look real. Same thing applies with your legs (one leg locked straight, the other should be a casual bend).

CAMERA: I stuff this one up to. Apparently great models ain't suppose to look directly into the camera, they are suppose to look away with a mix of head and eye poses. Looking off to the right or left side, or tiling your neck to either side can help you avoid direct eye contact with the camera. In many cases, your head and neck can remain stationary in your modeling pose—and your eyes can do all the work. Head and eye positions, coupled with personable
facial expressions make for great model poses.

SITTING POSES: When I ever get to sit down, I slack off. Don't do that. I would usually just slump to the ground and let my fat thighs hug the floor. Photoshop cannot airbrush this out.

CLEAVAGE: Ha! My mum has plenty, while I have....a very big heart thank you very much. Well there's this trick you can do by putting your hand on your waist with elbows in to push them closer to create the illusion that you go something like a credit card swapper.

SMILE: Smiling is good, but to show your versatility you have to be able to do other facial expressions such as cute frown, bratty bout, friendly laugh or even edgy scowl. I can somewhat manage a smile and the "How dumb do I look" pose. I wouldn't choose the latter as part of my portfolio.

So that was that and Sophea will be choosing the three photos of her, Zoey and myself to be photoshopped and a part of her product poster campaign and product package.

Shout out to Sid Nou & Beautiful Brides clothing.

No comments:

Post a Comment