Wednesday, January 27, 2010

ASPIRING PEOPLE: Photographer Brent Mc Donald


In this article we I interview 21 year old, Canberra based photographer and digital artist who has just completed his Advanced Diploma in 3D Animation for film.
This kid has got to be one of Australia’s future top photographers who just oozes talent as he captures an array of emotions through his visually stunning and strikingly innovative works.

INTERVIEW WITH BRENT
Are you a self taught photographer or did you have a mentor that showed you the ropes?I am mostly self taught. I’ve learnt most of what I know via trial and error. Most of the “technical” stuff I’ve learnt was based online with via the various D.I.Y photography websites.Jeff Purser (producer of Cedar Boys) was kind enough to spend a weekend with me explaining how I should go about business and presenting myself as a professional. I recommend someone like Jeff, who knows the industry.

When did you get into the field of photography?I’ve been designing 3D art and general web/design for several years. I purchased my first camera in February 2009.I decided to quit my job as an IT Consultant and pursue photography in July 2009. I created a Facebook group explaining that I was looking for models to shoot for free and in return, they’d receive a free dvd of photos that I edit for them. This was great was to get exposure and learn the ropes at the same time. My name was quickly thrown around Facebook and networking groups in Canberra. Within about 3 months, people were contacting me asking how much I charged. I saw this as a great opportunity to take myself more seriously and start operating as a photography business. My facebook group can be found here:




Who has inspired your works?Dave Hill. Hands down! He’s amazing. He has literally branded his photography with such a defined style. All of his images tell a story and really pop out at you. Sam Lyons is another local bloke who really knocks the socks off anything urban. He’s great! Murat Sayginer is a great young talent. Tom Barnes does amazing band photography. Erik Johansson is known for his awesome “tripped out” work.These guys have all been a part of the process of molding my style in photography and retouching.


What are some of the programs used?I primarily use Photoshop for editing my photos. Lightroom is great for organizing photo collections ect. (Important program for clean workflow)Getting to know Photoshop is definitely a number 1 suggestion for any aspiring designer or photographer.


In general, during a session, how many pics would you say you take to find "the right one"?I usually take between 200-500 images, depending on the model and location. If a model is experienced and really knows how to pick the right pose, I’ll generally take fewer shots. Once again, It’s trial and error. Inspiration also plays a big part in the number of shots I take. If the model or location really inspires me, I tend to go a lil “clicky crazy” and shoot for hours. No one ever complains ;)




5 Tips to good photography.

1. PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!


2. When photographing models, try focusing on their eyes, then tilt the camera into frame. In photos and movies, eyes are always the number one thing that will connect the audience to your work.

3. I don’t like the word “research” so let’s call it “A Quest For Inspiration”. I always look at other peoples work for inspiration. It’s usually what gives me ideas for my future work. It’ll also feed your creativity.


4. Learn a couple of really cool editing techniques. The most important techniques that come to mind when editing photos are (in order of edit): dodge & burn, color enhancement (to suit mood of photo), sharpening. Many people overlook sharpening a photo. This can be the difference between a normal photo, or a photo that really pops out and grabs your attention.

Future aspirations?To see my photography on magazines and billboards and work with the coolest and most interesting people all over the world.To write, direct and soundtrack my own films.


Identified strengths, Identified weaknesses?Haha wow ok…


Strengths: Creative, strong communicator, passionate, decisive, fearless. I dictate my own reality and don’t let others persuade me.

Weaknesses: Can be unmotivated, nocturnal. I’m known to speak my mind. At times this can be bad :P


Tell us about your package (gear)?You wanna know about my package huh? Hehe.I started with a Canon 450D and still use it. I’m using a nice L series 25-105mm lense for most of my work. I use 2 Canon flashes which are both portable via wireless triggers. Usually mounted to 2 softboxes.Essentially, that’s all I use. Occasionally I’ll pull out my reflector for variation, but I just love working with flashes.


Projects been a part of:Writer/Producer/Cinematographer – Trop Fest (Short Film) - 2009 • Point Of View (Feature Film) – Sound Assist / Boom Operator / Photography Hand - 2009 • Ed Hardy Clothing – Photo shoot• From The Centre of Stonehenge (Music Video) – Stills Photographer – 2009 • COD (Feature Film) – Stills Photographer


Other hobbies and interests:


MUSIC. I’ve been producing my own music for about 4 years. Working on melodic hip-hop and soundtrack music. I’ve played the drums for about 11 years. Music can be found here http://www.speakermouthmusic.com/


5 words that describe your personality.Loud, fun, (apparently) funny, party animal, passionate, clown, over steps the mark :P


Links to your works/ portfolio.



Awards/ Achievements

Insert sad face here :(I won the “Best film of the year” award in college if that counts?Awards aside, I’ve made many personal achievements in life in the last 2 years. Being able to know exactly what I want and then pursuing it is an achievement everyone should be proud of. Ask me this one again after I’ve made my first feature film ;)


Check out some of the photo Brent took of me, Andy Minh Trieu and Warren Coulton!






No comments:

Post a Comment