Tuesday, October 20, 2009

“Bridges” are my Mantra for the day!

I bumped into this event by accident when searching for some things to do this weekend. Its the Seven Bridges Walk, returning for its 4th year, on Sunday 25 October 2009 from 8am to 5pm in and around the City of Sydney. This is a FREE event (highly encourage you to donate to the partnered charities) and is expecting a total of 24,000 walkers in the bid to raise over $100,000 for the four charities.

My fetish for the weekend is bridges so I’d definitely be looking forward to Sydney Harbour Bridge, Pyrmont Bridge, Anzac Bridge, Iron Cove Bridge, Gladesville Bridge, Tarban Creek Bridge & Fig Tree Bridge.

I think this would be a healthy and great initiative to get out and about to see our awesome city of Sydney and enjoy the food, music and activities at each of the bridge locations.
“A bridge is a structure built to span a valley, road, body of water, or other physical obstacle, for the purpose of providing passage over the obstacle.” – Wikipedia.

To me, a bridge metaphorically speaks of something that allows you to overcome a challenge. That something to me is relevant as a mindset – how one thinks, how one allows themselves to think and interpret the world. Over the years I’ve learnt the “optimism” is the key, well my key that drives me to do the things I do, the things I pursue and achieve. Its the same mindset that allows me to push the boundaries, defy stereotypes and encourage positive change.

Today, I shall be dedicate more time to build on my mental bridge, repair it when needed and allow others passage through it - My mantra for the day.

By the way, I haven't dragged anyone into this one yet so I'm still on the look out to to spend the weekend trekking 25 kms, in the blazing open sun...with this legend of a person (let me know if your out there!)

Speaking about bridges, if I was a bridge, I’d be an innovative one like the one below:



London, UK – Creator Thomas Heatherwick. Who would of thought of a weird rolly-polly bug inspired bridge like this! This rolling bridge curls up on itself to form an octagon by using hydraulics.

"I'll be honest: I don't really see the point of this rolling bridge. Sure, it's a pretty sweet idea, and it looks really cool, but how often do you need to roll a bridge up into a circle? Sure, it makes it easy to transport, but it's not like bridges are always needing to be moved. Generally speaking, once a bridge is in place it stays put.
But hey, I'm no engineer. The rolling bridge was designed to roll up by being built with eight segments, and I guess it could be used as a replacement for a drawbridge. Whatever, I still don't get the point of it all" — Adam Frucci


So what are your thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment