Monday, September 26, 2011

SKILLS: Pistol Shooting at The International Shooting Centre


Date: 9-11am, Sat 17 Sept, 2011
Venue: Sydney International Shooting Centre, Elizabeth Dr, Cecil Park

I think it must have clicked in me that I need some gun training if I really want to do some action one day. It’s still a shiny dream of mine but we all got to start somewhere.  For people who don’t know, in Australia, gun possession is highly regulated. Individuals just can’t pop down to the local store and buy one, but they have to be through some extensive training, and also joining their local club in order to finally get one. To my surprise, there are loads of clubs in NSW and gun/ shooting culture is far from dead.
In my 2 hour session of the TryShooting Program, I learnt the basics of gun parts, safety and handling and also shot 100 rounds of ammunition on a static target.

Some people might find guns as deadly and horrible, but I find shooting as rather therapeutic. In order to hit the target, at bullseye, one needs to get their breathing, and focus right. I only got one bullseye (most of it didn’t even land on the board, some kept on hitting the roof) but the feel of a revolver and aiming was something new to me. The noise wasn’t as bad as I thought (maybe because I had earplugs on) and the recoil wasn’t as dramatic like in the movies. My trainer “Daniel”, went through the dos and don’ts of stances and shooting styles. He thinks it is so important to know how to hold a gun, especially for screen, because action films get it so wrong all the time. People like him always pick it out.
Also the side gun technique (often depicted in the 90s by street culture) serves as useless. It is very hard to aim at a target unless you are at point blanc.
Only in the movies...
Wanna know more about guns? Read the NationalFirearms and Safety Code 

No comments:

Post a Comment