Monday, September 26, 2011

ON SET: “The Sapphires”, featuring Jessica Mauboy Movie Shoot

Date: Thu 22 Sept, 2011
Venue: Dusty Farm Rd, Brownlow Hill.

I was informed about this major Australian film production a couple of months ago via ICE and also through Andrew Arbuthnot. Since then, I’ve been doing my bit and spreading the word throughout my Vietnamese community for those interested in some film production acting/ extras experience. Little did I know that Digital Series team member David Minh Tam Nguyen’s last minute call out for extras would get me wound up on set.

I also roped in my friend Jason Ho for the day and together we drive long distances to the woop woop country suburbs of Brownlow Hill (near Camden), 1 hour south west of Sydney. We were venturing in areas where you’ll see farm animals roam on the green paddocks. The deeper I headed, buildings started to disappear.  I saw and eventually arrived to the set location and a magnificently natural backdrop of hills and plains.

I love being on professional sets. Seeing the different trailers set up and crew roaming around with gear is an exciting view.

I have to admit, I wasn’t quite ready to be assigned to be a guerrilla Viet Cong girl fighter.  Especially when my parents escaped the Vietnam War but at the same time I felt that I should be professional as a actor/ performer and treat it like a job. So I agreed, got dressed in a guerrilla VC outfit, muddied up from head to toe and then thrown into some gun and movement training, moments before my scene.

There’s always a lot of waiting around on set. It was a good warm surprise to see my fellow friends  Quan Tran and Ben Cao on set. After a good feed, we all hopped on a bus and headed out to the forest.


Here, I was handed a real AK-47 gun to sling across and point at the actors (Chris O'DowdJessicaMauboyDeborah Mailman Shari SebbensMiranda Tapsell).

It was awesome to see Warwick Thorton (director of “Samson and Delilah”) and Wayne Blair on set and doing their thing.

More info on “The Sapphires”, check out this link

“The Sapphires”
1968 was the year that changed the world. And for four young Aboriginal sisters from a remote mission this is the year that would change their lives forever. Around the globe, there was protest and revolution in the streets. Indigenous Australians finally secured the right to vote. There were drugs and the shock of a brutal assassination. And there was Vietnam. The sisters, Cynthia, Gail, Julie and Kay are discovered by Dave, a talent scout with a kind heart, very little rhythm but a great knowledge of soul music. Billed as Australia's answer to 'The Supremes', Dave secures the sisters their first true gig, and fly's them to Vietnam to sing for the American troops. Based on a true story, THE SAPPHIRES is a triumphant celebration of youthful emotion, family and music.

No comments:

Post a Comment