Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Sydney Film School 11th Festival - What's A Winning Idea?

Date: 15th Tuesday, 2009

Venue: Twin Palace Cinema

3A Oxford St, Paddington.

Yesterday, myself and some of the Youth Digital Cultures members (Steve Ada, Marie Setiwan, Andy Minh Trieu & Timothy Ly) headed to inner Sydney to check out this event held by Sydney Film School panel discussion “What’s a “Winning” idea: Funding Opportunities for Graduates’.

Of course I’m not a graduate from any film school really and only can take pride in a community weekend course I did at Information & Cultural Exchange (ICE), being a part of Rumble Pictures which led me to other avenues such as completed “A Little Dream” Metro Screen funded short film and onto Vietlish TV! So you can say I took the alternative route (guerrilla and gungho way) and landed myself into the 3D world of filmmaking.

The panel focuses on the relationship between funding bodies/investors/distributors and the generators of ideas. It aims to provide guidance to emerging filmmakers on how to develop and produce their film projects in line with existing funding opportunities and to understand the expectations and criteria set by their respective constituents.

So yes, nerdy me, I rowded my crew up to see intimidatingly close to the stage, scribed furiously to what is being said and actively listened to see what aspects I can apply to my collaborative projects.

Representatives of public and private funding schemes will discuss and exchange their views on what constitutes a ‘winning idea’ or a ‘winning project’.

Attached are my random “key points” for the event.

Participating in the panel are:
Sam Jennings (Development Executive at Screen NSW)


Nicole O'Donohue (Independent Producer, "Griff the Invisible")

- Trial relationships, start off as an intern, learn what you don’t like to do, which people you don’t like to work with.

Julia Overton (Documentary Investment Manager at Screen Australia)

- watch everything and anything, network, network, network, go for the best person – not the one below you, do not tell us the story is bold, beautiful and compelling – let us decide.


Caterina DeNave (Executive Producer - Drama/Comedy, SBS)

- This women is funny and witty, SBS is looking for singular ideas, she says lots of things that she gets is mediocre


Peter Newman (Executive Producer, Factual - Commissioned Content, SBS)

- Know your audience – core of your project, make it for the people, know the channel’s content, provocative, ideas that stand out, teaming up, mentorship, concentrate on the story before the script, have a book of ideas

Rachel Okine (Hopscotch Films Distributor)

Michael McLennan (
Sydney Film School graduate representing the emerging perspective)

Overall, it was a good event to check out the heads of these funding bodies and hear it like it is. It is a good shortcut lowdown of that these guys are looking for in regards to content.

Now to get the two major projects I have in my mind up and running. I can’t reveal what it is, but let’s just say I’m thinking epic. So far, I’ve got a good team attached to the project, especially RH Series. They are dedicated, driven and their passion is what driving this project in regards to content. My role is to keep them hubcubated and to remind them and myself of the bigger picture of getting this up and running. I can not let anyone in the way of saying else wise of this project and if they are smart about it then be a team player and get on board. Yes, the last paragraph was vague, but it was one for me to read and reflect.

Cheerios!

No comments:

Post a Comment